Poolside Fun!

Poolside Fun!

Monday, July 21, 2014

Special Acquaintances

I'm thinking I probably should have waited until this summer semester of classes finished before I decided to add another item to my schedule (ie... blogging!) But it was really on my heart to start sharing our story.

Thomas takes Aisllyn to OT and PT each week and he has shared with me that there is a little girl who is about Aisllyn's age that has similar physical issues from cerebral palsy like Aisllyn does. They see her mainly on the day Aisllyn goes to PT. Last week, Thomas brought home a birthday invitation for Aisllyn to attend her 2nd birthday. I had tears in my eyes. It touched my heart that another mother was reaching out to us for her little girl who can't quite accomplish that on her own, but who I'm sure just like Aisllyn, wants to be able to. Just like Aisllyn, she isn't talking, but uses some sign language. This invitation couldnt have come at a better time. I have been wanting to find a way to reach out to other parents with children who have special needs, but I haven't had the opportunity. We need that support in our life. Because honestly, even with the best friends in the world that both Thomas and I are blessed to have, it just isn't the same when it comes to sharing these HUGE achievements like first steps or a new word, or being able to call  just because you need someone who understands that tough day you had with tears and tantrums, ending in sweet snuggles where no words are needed between you and your sweet baby... Days like those, it would definitely be a blessing to have someone to call. So of course we are going to celebrate a super sweet girl's 2nd birthday! And I'm sure it will be one all of the babies will remember!

The invitation got me looking into some other ways to reach out to parents like us. I contacted Family Connections, an organization that puts families in touch with other families who have children with the same or similar diagnosis as your child. They also have amazing activities they put together for the siblings of children with special needs - as much as I hate to admit, unfortunately, my older daughters have to step to the side sometimes because of something Aisllyn needs or an appointment that we have to get to. They are both incredibly understanding,  AMAZING, big sisters! And they deserve to have that additional support outside of our family as well!

I am so excited! Within 2 hours of speaking with Family Connections, I received an email of 2 parents who will be reaching out to me in the next couple of days. So, in addition to our birthday party and talks of future play dates, we will be meeting more families to add to our support network! God is GOOD!

I am so thankful for Aisllyn's special acquaintance! Aisllyn loves interacting with other children her age, and even though she can't say what she is undoubtedly thinking, her eyes and smile say it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment